What happens here?

What happens here?

Buildings, energy, energy policy, indoor air quality, problems, triumphs, successes, failures and the people and processes that affect them.

Feel free to draw any tangential connection you think appropriate.

I love spirited and enthusiastic exchanges, but please maintain the decorum.



Monday, June 13, 2011

Doug George remembered

I tested one of the tightest houses I have ever encountered the other day. I haven't run all the parameters such as CFM/surface area or the much less desirable ACH, but my raw numbers for a 2000 sq ft walk out basement ranch WITH a garage under (not part of the 2K) was 345 CFM/50.

Must be a SIP job or more likely spray foam right? Sorry, the framed walls are insulated with fiberglass batts, the below grade walls with rigid foam and the attic with cellulose. Oh, and it was built in 1995, at a price comparable to "standard" construction of the day.

The builder was the late Doug George. I didn't know him but those who did heap praise on him both as a builder and as a human being. I do know that the man knew how to detail a building enclosure.

Every framing junction is sealed with caulk or foam. The Tenoarm air barrier is taped at all seams and to all adjacent materials. I have seen a few pictures of the building in progress and I couldn't see any faults. Most of the air leakage seemed to be coming through the wood stove and the fresh air intakes. I am humbled and impressed.

This has reminded me that what really matters in creating quality buildings is a customer who understands that there is more available than the tract house standard and a builder who understands how and why to deliver it. I think that I'm coming back around to the education theme again, don't you?

The next newsletter will cover this in more detail along with some thoughts on why every builder will not be able to follow this path and what the alternatives are.

In the mean time I would suggest that you hoist your favorite beverage in honor of Mr. George whether you knew him or not. Those of us who didn't obviously are the poorer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment